Wednesday, September 28, 2011

"Peso" Walking

When the kids get home from school its always kinda crazy. As I'm sure it is in every household that has school age kids. Today the kids were talking to me and telling me about their day. Mckenzie, my very hyper 7 year old in second grade, always has something 'interesting' to tell me. After everything settled down a bit they wanted an after school snack. They picked a piece of bread. Wheat bread. As Mckenzie was sitting there eating her bread very calmly and out of no where she said "mommy will you come to the peso walking tomorrow". I said "Peso walking????" Her reply, "no, peso walking". She repeated it about 7 other times with me repeating it every time exactly like that "peso walking". Now Mckenzie has a word retrieval problem so sometimes she can't come up with a word for what she is trying to say so she compensates by describing what she means. Sometimes she does it so well that you don't know she is doing it but sometimes.... she just has a hard time. I asked her what she meant so maybe I could understand what it was that she meant. Her explanation, "Its when we walk we get pesos and walk around the playground". So I said "ok yeah, so you get pesos and walk". She kept laughing because I wasn't understanding. She said it again a little bit slower and it finally dawned on me she was saying PACER walking! Where they get a pacer to walk with. Because of her speech impediment with her 'r's it sounded a lot like peso and there is a lot of Spanish speaking people here that it would have made sense that way too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment